Ben’s main approach to individual therapy is Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT). Ben completed a two-year CAT practitioner course in 2013 and has since undertaken further training in CAT supervision. CAT explores our problematic relationship patterns with other people or ourselves and how these result in emotional difficulties and mental health problems. Ben will work with you to help you understand how these patterns have come to be, so there is room to consider options for change. These can be the seeds for developing a meaningful and fulfilled life.
Family & Couple Therapy
Ben has a particular interest in Family Therapy. Family Therapy helps family members, couples and others who care about each other improve their communication and resolve conflicts. The therapist helps family members to help each other and teaches skills to deepen family connections.
Family therapy might include all family members or just those who want to participate. Family therapy can be a single session, several sessions or continue for a much longer time. The duration can be discussed and reviewed at regular intervals throughout the therapy.
Some of the things that family therapists can help with include:
– Conflict between family members
– Communication problems
– A family member’s mental illness
– A break in trust between family members
– Children’s behaviour problems
– Separation or divorce
– Difficulties between siblings
– Supporting the LGBTQIA+ community inclusive of navigating gender and sexuality
– Caring for a family member with special needs
– Issues with extended family members
– A family member’s illness or a death in the family
– How to plan for shared custody of children
Ben is a board approved supervisor with Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency with a wide range of clinical and managerial supervision experience. Ben provides supervision for psychologists in the clinical registrar program, therapy specific supervision, group clinical supervision and strategic planning for senior mental health clinicians. Potential supervisees are welcome to enquire whether Ben can provide their supervision needs.